Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK
Start Date: Immediate
Space Optical Design Engineer
Our Client, Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd (SSTL), is the world's leading small satellite company, delivering operational space missions for a range of applications including Earth observation, science, and communications. The company designs, manufactures and operates high-performance satellites and ground systems for a fraction of the price normally associated with space missions. Based in Guildford UK, SSTL is an independent company within the Airbus Group.
We are currently looking for an experienced Optical Design Engineer with space sector experience. You will lead the technical concept development, systems modelling and optical design of solutions for the Optical Systems Group. This role will encompass all phases of the evolution of optical instrumentation development for space-borne instrumentation.
• Space-borne optical instrument system design and development within a multidisciplinary team
• Design and development of optical systems from concept through to manufacture and system integration
• Lead the following activities:
- Optical system requirements trade analysis
- Optical system architecture definition
- Optical design
- Generate design concepts and documentation for technical bid support
• Provide the technical point of contact for the relevant optical system(s)
• Define and manage the programmatic and technical aspects of work
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
• MSc in Applied Optics or Physics with a concentration in optics preferred, however BSc and suitable relevant experience will be considered
• Optical design experience with proficiency in Zemax is desirable
• Basic Opto-Mechanical knowledge to aid in optical systems development
• Comprehensive knowledge of Optical Engineering, preferably within space applications, coupled with a working knowledge of the other engineering disciplines e.g. electronics, electro-optical device physics and opto-mechanics
• ‘End to end’ Optical Engineering knowledge and experience including one or more of the following:
- Requirements Engineering and Trade-offs
- Electro-Opto-mechanical Design and Analysis
- Integration of Optical Systems (preferably including Space Systems)
- Validation and Verification Engineering, including testing
• The ability to review and critique optical systems for application in space, balancing technical requirements with programmatic and budget constraints
• Good team player; able to work in close-knit teams with design, analysis, integration and test engineers is mandatory
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to plan and manage own work
If an offer of employment is made, we will ask you for information so that we can carry out Baseline Personal Security Standard (BPSS) pre-employment checks. You must successfully complete pre-employment checks before joining the company. You will, therefore, be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the UK, you will be asked to complete a criminal records declaration to declare any unspent convictions. You will also be asked to provide reference details to cover a minimum of 3 years employment and residency.
For further information about this position please Contact us and we will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible.
Contact Us return to space jobs