Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK
Start Date: Immediate
Spacecraft Thermal Engineer
Our Client, Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd (SSTL), is the world's leading small satellite company, delivering operational space missions for a range of applications including Earth observation, science, and communications. The company designs, manufactures and operates high-performance satellites and ground systems for a fraction of the price normally associated with space missions. Based in Guildford UK, SSTL is an independent company within the Airbus Group.
We are currently looking for a Spacecraft Thermal Engineer to provide Spacecraft Level Thermal Design and Analysis Solutions on Low Earth Orbit, Geostationary Earth Orbit, and interplanetary missions.
Working within the Thermal Team on fast-paced projects to deliver practical Thermal Control Subsystem (TCS) solutions on schedule and within budget. This will require a dedicated, experienced, innovative and pragmatic approach.
Responsible for spacecraft thermal control subsystem for the lifetime of a project including testing and in-orbit activities:
• Thermal subsystem management:
- Design and analysis of the spacecraft TCS
- Perform / manage TCS implementation and test activities
- Delivery of an overall thermal solution that fits in with company and project requirements
Support to Thermal Team activities
Thermal subsystem management and thermal analysis and design. Role to include, but not limited to:
• Requirements capture
• Spacecraft level thermal analysis and design
• System / subsystem level interfacing and trade-offs
• Cost, risk, schedule and performance trades
• Implementation of the design including appropriate hardware selection and management as required.
• Test planning, test and verification of the design,
• Understanding and improving related company standards and work practices
• Perform / manage unit level analysis and design or piece part testing as required
• Management of subcontractors as required
• Interfacing to internal and external customers
• Management of one or more project work packages
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
• A good Degree in Engineering or Physics or appropriate vocational qualifications
• Relevant experience in appropriate thermal design and analysis in the space industry
• Experience using Thermica, Sinda-G and ESATAN analysis tools advantageous
• Experience with active and passive TCS hardware
• Planning and support of thermal vacuum tests
• Space mission and system level experience, including interfacing to other disciplines such as Mechanics, AOCS, Propulsion, AIT and Operations
• Experience of converting between the thermal tools is desirable but not essential
• A system level understanding of thermal subsystem design
• Good thermal design and analysis skills
• Excellent verbal communications and presentations skills
• Excellent writing skills with a proven ability to generate high-quality technical documentation
• Excellent organisational, management and team working skills
• Good knowledge of MS Office Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Proven ability to deliver solutions under pressure and to tight timescales
If an offer of employment is made, we will ask you for information so that we can carry out Baseline Personal Security Standard (BPSS) pre-employment checks. You must successfully complete pre-employment checks before joining the company. You will, therefore, be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the UK, you will be asked to complete a criminal records declaration to declare any unspent convictions. You will also be asked to provide reference details to cover a minimum of 3 years employment and residency.
For further information about this position please Contact us and we will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible.
Contact Us return to space jobs